Or does this one work better? i've just edited the first one here - not rewritten it.
Last Monday I met Mr. Mobius again. He looked quite like his old self. His mole had shifted back to the left side of his face. And his squint was back in his left eye instead of his right – which is where it was the whole of last year.
He shook hands with me, a little disorientedly. “I’ve been using the other one for a whole year, you see,” he said, after mistaking my left for my right.
“You’ve done it again, haven’t you?” I asked.
“What are you talking about?” he shrugged, winking.
“Gone around the Universe in your Expansion capsule…you know what I mean. I can see you’ve changed again. How do you do it? Why do you do it?”
“I like seeing the world upside down, child. You can’t imagine what it feels like - ”
I didn’t answer that one.
Mr. Mobius liked to travel around the Universe. And everytime he did, he came back laterally inverted. (And upside down too – but that’s easily corrected in an upside down world.) Which means, his mirror image came back instead of him. He said that was because space twisted before it came back to where it was. It seemed to me that he was the one who twisted every time he went out there.
Mr. Mobius grinned. “Don’t we all?”
With his Expansion Capsule that could bend space to nullify distances –
“It doesn’t bend space, child. Gravity does that. It just spaces out your molecules so you can become comparable to the size of the Universe – which has a pretty spaced out molecular structure – and you can slide across the gravity curves.”
- nullify distances, he travels the last reaches of the farthest collapsible dimension and comes back to tell the tale.
And changes himself a little bit in the process.
Well, don’t we all?
is it the "how do you do it? why do you do it" part where it goes wobbly? because i've read it too many times to understand now.
ReplyDeletewhy are there strange dashes in the middle?.. and the 'child' seems to know 'how he does it' or is that a narrattor
ReplyDelete